How does Vilitra 60 mg work
Vilitra of vardenafil is a PDE-5 inhibiting drug, that is it works by restricting the function of this enzyme. This enzyme is a cause for impotence or ED because it destroys the cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP) molecules which help with erection. cGMP relaxes/ dilates the blood vessels present in the corpus cavernosum and draws more blood into them which causes the erection. Its destruction by PDE-5 molecules is prevented by the drug which binds to the latter and saves the cGMP molecules.
It is important to note that Vilitra can work only when one is sexually aroused. Sexual stimulation releases nitric oxide in the smooth muscles present in the penis which is required for increasing the concentration of cGMP molecules. Vilitra does not increase sexual desire or sexual performance.
Uses of Vilitra 60 mg
Vilitra 60 mg is the highest dose of vardenafil and is prescribed to men having severe ED issues. It is not meant for people with mild erection problems. Vilitra, like Viagra and Cialis, helps a man achieve and maintain a hard erection for a satisfying sexual experience. Vardenafil is particularly helpful for those whose ED stems from diabetes, high blood pressure, aging, and dyslipidemia.
You should consult a physician before taking Vilitra 60 mg as it is the highest dose of the medicine. Generally, if you intend to take it only occasionally, one tablet should be taken half an hour before having sex. But if your doctor has prescribed the dose of one tablet per day, you should take it at the due time every day to get results. You can take it before or after eating food but taking it without food is better. Lastly, If you have mild ED, consider taking 5 mg or 10 mg doses of this medicine.
Taking this medicine more than 4 hours before you have sex can reduce its potency and give poorer results.
If you take it only when you need to, you don’t have to worry about missing a dose. However, for those taking Vilitra according to a prescription, taking the dose at the same time each day should make it easy to not miss a dose. If you accidentally forget to take a dose, you should have it as soon as you remember. But skip the missed dose if your next regular dose is due very soon. Never take the 2 doses at once or within 24 hours.
One must not take more than 80 mg of Vardenafil within 24 hours as it can cause serious side effects. Though Vilitra 60 mg is within the safety limit, its overdose can easily lead to the development of severe symptoms. Intense lower-back pain, vomiting, excessive dizziness, and abnormal vision are a few side effects of an overdose. So, try to not take an overdose of Vilitra 60 mg.
People with certain health conditions (mentioned in the list below) should not consume Vilitra as it may worsen their condition. Therefore, before you decide to take this medicine, discuss your health issues with your doctor to be on the safe side.
- If you’re allergic to vardenafil or any other ingredients of Vilitra 60 mg
- If your cholesterol level is high
- If you’ve suffered from seizures in the past or you’re epileptic
- If you have any prostate-related problem like benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
- If you suffer from eye-related problems like retinitis pigmentosa
- If you have suffered a heart stroke/ attack in the past or suffer from ischemic heart condition
- If you have high or low blood pressure problem
- If you have any blood-related condition like blood cancer or sickle cell anemia
- If you suffer from Peyronie’s disease, angulation, or other penis conditions
- If you have experienced priapism before (a painful erection which last for 4 or more hours)
- If you suffer from hepatic conditions
- If you’re below 18 years of age or you are a woman (especially pregnant/ breastfeeding women)
Consult your physician for more detailed health advice.
Side effects of Vilitra 60 mg
Some common side effects one might face due to Vilitra 60 mg are-
- Flu-like symptoms
- Runny or stuffy nose
Other more dangerous symptoms that may be a result of allergic reaction or an overdose of vardenafil are-
- Vision changes (Non-arteritic Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy-NAION)
- Changes in color vision
- Difficulty in breathing
- Skin rashes
- Chest pain
- Sudden loss of hearing abilities
Immediately contact a doctor if the patient shows any of the above symptoms.
Interaction With Other Drugs
An interaction can alter the way any medicine works or may magnify the side effects. So, before taking Vilitra 60 mg, check with your doctor if any of your current medications (prescribed or OTC), herbal supplements, or nutritional supplements might interact with the drug. Here is a list of some common drug interactions (this is not a complete list)-
- Other PDE-5 inhibiting drugs such as Viagra (sildenafil), Cialis (tadalafil), etc
- Oral antifungals e.g., itraconazole or ketoconazole
- Alpha-blocker drugs (used for prostate-related problems) e.g., tamsulosin, alfuzosin, and doxazosin
- Beta-blockers like atenolol
- Diuretics (aka water-pills) like bumetanide, ethacrynic acid, furosemide, etc.
- Nitrates (used for treating heart conditions) e.g., isosorbide and nitroglycerine
- Anti-seizure or anti-epileptic medicines like carbamazepine
- Calcium channel blockers, e.g., amlodipine, nimodipine, verapamil, nicardipine, diltiazem, etc
- HIV protease inhibitors such as ritonavir and fosamprenavir
- Chemotherapy drugs e.g., tyrosine kinase inhibitors
- Medicines used to treat autoimmune conditions
- Guanylate cyclase (GC) stimulator, e.g., riociguat
Interaction With Alcohol
Vilitra 60 mg when taken alongside alcohol can quickly lower your blood pressure making you dizzy. It can be dangerous to drive or do any other task that requires full focus and consciousness. Therefore, you should avoid this combination.
Interaction with grapefruit juice
The CYP3A4 enzyme, found in the liver metabolizes Vilitra and causes its disintegration. Grapefruit and its juice can increase the level of this enzyme in our body and lead to the quick destruction of this drug. To get the full effect of Vilitra, avoid grapes.
Keep the Vilitra 60 mg tablets in their original packaging in a cool and dry place. Do not keep them in the bathroom. Avoid keeping them in direct sunlight as it can cause damage to the pills. Dispose of the expired or discarded pills and packaging properly. Lastly, keep them away from pets and kids.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. When should I take Vilitra 60 mg?
Ans- If you’re consistently facing problems in getting and/or maintaining an erection during sex, you may take one Vilitra 60 mg pill at least half an hour before the next session. It will help you gain a firm erection. However, consult a doctor if you’re planning to take this medicine regularly. Never overdose on this drug.
Q2. Can it cause side effects?
Ans- Yes, like most other drugs, Vilitra 60 mg can also cause side effects. Dizziness, nausea, priapism, changes in vision, allergic reaction, and chest pain are some symptoms.
Q3. Is Viagra better or Vilitra?
Ans- Both the drugs have the same function- to help you get an erection during sex by increasing the blood flow in the penis. Both the drugs are recommended as first-line medications in the treatment of ED. However, Viagra contains sildenafil citrate and is a branded drug. Vilitra, on the other hand, is a generic drug and contains vardenafil. If you’re not getting results from either of these medicines, you can try the other.
Q4. Will Vilitra improve my performance in bed?
Ans- No, Vilitra is used for helping you gain and sustain an erection but it cannot improve your stamina or performance during sex.
There are no reviews yet.