How does Cenforce 50 mg work
All the PDE-5 inhibiting drugs, including sildenafil citrate (Cenforce 50 mg) work in the same way. They increase the blood flow to the penis so that an erection can be achieved. Its physiological mechanism involves nitric oxide (NO) release in the smooth muscles of the penis upon sexual stimulation. NO is responsible for the activation of an enzyme called guanylate cyclase. This enzyme increases the concentration of cyclic guanosine monophosphate cGMP molecules in the penile muscles which cause muscle relaxation and allows more blood flow. Sildenafil helps to save cGMP molecules from the cGMP-specific Phosphodiesterase 5 Enzyme (PDE-5) enzyme which destroys cGMP. Increased blood flow will cause you to get and maintain a rigid erection during sexual intercourse.
It doesn’t have any direct relaxant effect but simply works by enhancing the function of NO and cGMP. So, Cenforce 50 mg can only work when one is sexually stimulated.
Uses of Cenforce 50 mg
It is a prescription medicine used to treat mild/ occasional impotence or ED in men. It helps in relaxing the penile muscles thereby drawing more blood into the penis and causing an erection. Its effects last for about four hours (depending on the individual’s metabolism and tolerance level). Use Cenforce 50 mg to improve your sex life.
The usual recommended dose for men facing erection problems is one Cenforce 50 mg tablet taken 30-60 minutes prior to having sex. People facing occasional ED issues can take the medicine only when required. Those with a more consistent problem can consult a doctor and get a prescribed dosage. Your doctor may increase (or decrease) the dose based on your need, tolerance, and other health conditions. If you are taking it after a meal, the onset time may get slightly delayed. You are supposed to take only one tablet per day. Lastly, Cenforce 50 mg is not recommended for individuals below 18 years of age.
People using Cenforce 50 mg only when needed shouldn’t worry about a missed dosage. But if you have been prescribed this drug for daily intake, you should make sure you don’t miss a dose. For ease of remembering, take it at the same time each day. If you have already missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember but if the next regular dose is soon to be taken, leave the missed dose. You should not take two doses in close succession as it may lead to an overdose.
Although Cenforce 50 mg is a safe drug, its overdose can cause problems. Depending on the amount of overdose you may experience nausea, headache, priapism, palpitations, and/or troubled respiration. Therefore, avoid taking more than the prescribed dose and in case of an overdose, immediately contact your physician.
A thorough physical examination and medical history should be taken before taking/ prescribing Cenforce 50 mg to anyone. Let your doctor know if you suffer from any of the following issues as this drug can worsen these conditions-
- If you are allergic to sildenafil citrate or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- If you’ve ever faced heart problems like heart attack, angina, irregular heartbeat, etc
- If you suffer from high or low blood pressure
- If you have retinitis pigmentosa (a hereditary eye disease)
- If you are partially or fully blind
- If you have blood-related conditions like hemophilia or sickle-cell anemia
- If you have had or currently have a stomach ulcer
- If you have any liver or kidney-related problems
- If you suffer from the pulmonary veno-occlusive disease (PVOD)
- If you’ve had an episode or two of painful long erections lasting more than 4 hours (aka priapism)
- If you have a deformed penis due to Peyronie’s disease or any other disease
- If your doctor has told you that having sex can have a bad effect on your health
- If you’ve suffered epileptic seizures in the past
- Women, especially pregnant or breastfeeding women should not take Cenforce 50 mg as it may be harmful to the baby
Side effects of Cenforce 50 mg
Although sildenafil is well-tolerated, it may still cause side effects in some people. Most of them go away in a few hours or days but if they persist, you should consult a doctor.
- Stuffy nose
- Ringing sound in the ears
Some serious side effects include-
- Heart attack symptoms: chest pain, nausea, pain extending to your jaw/ shoulder sweating, etc.
- Allergic reaction: hives, rashes, swelling of your tongue, face, throat, and breathing problems, etc.
- Loss of vision
- Irregular heartbeat
Interaction With Other Drugs
Drug interactions may change the working of the drug and cause harm or render it ineffective. You are advised to tell your doctor in detail about all the medicines/ herbs/ dietary supplements you are taking. Here is a list of possible drug interactions for Cenforce 50 mg but talk to your doctor for the full list.
- Alpha-blocker drugs for prostate-related disorders, like tamsulosin, alfuzosin, and doxazosin can cause a sudden drop in blood pressure
- Oral antifungals e.g., itraconazole and ketoconazole
- Guanylate cyclase (GC) stimulator, like riociguat
- Beta-blockers e.g., atenolol
- Other PDE-5 inhibiting drugs like tadalafil, vardenafil, etc.
- Medications for epileptic seizures e.g., carbamazepine
- Drugs containing nitrates, like isosorbide and nitroglycerine that are used for treating heart conditions like angina
- Poppers or recreational drugs e.g., amyl nitrite, amyl nitrate, etc.
- Macrolide antibiotics e.g., clarithromycin, erythromycin, etc.
- HIV protease inhibitors e.g., fosamprenavir, saquinavir, and ritonavir
- Hepatitis C virus protease inhibitors e.g., boceprevir and telaprevir
- Mifepristone (content of the abortion pill)
Interaction With Alcohol
Although taking a small amount of alcohol will not have much effect, consuming more of it can suddenly lower your blood pressure making you dizzy. It can also intensify the other side effects. Therefore, you should avoid alcohol while on this drug.
Interaction with grapefruit juice
Grapefruit contains the CYP3A4 enzyme which is naturally found in our liver and digests Cenforce 50 mg. So, one should avoid taking grapes or their juice as it will cause the medicine to work slowly.
Cenforce 50 mg should be stored in their original packaging and kept in a place that is-
- Close to room temperature (59–86° F or 15–30° C)
- Not directly exposed to sunlight
- Not damp or moist (avoid bathroom)
- Away from the reach of kids and pets
Besides these, make sure that the disposal of empty packages and expired pills are done properly.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Who can take Cenforce 50 mg?
Ans- Men who are constantly unable to get or maintain a firm erection to have sex can take this medicine. It will cause more blood to flow in the penis and help them have a rigid erection. However, it won’t enhance sexual performance.
Q2. How long will it take this medicine to work?
Ans- The exact time depends on individual body mechanism and tolerance levels but Cenforce 50 mg usually starts working within 30 to 60 minutes of intake.
Q3. What is the difference between Cenforce and Viagra?
Ans- Their manufacturing companies are different. Viagra is a branded medicine made by Pfizer company (USA) whereas Cenforce is manufactured by Centurion Laboratories, India. Both have the same active ingredient- sildenafil citrate and work in the same manner.
Q4. Is Cenforce 50 mg safe to take?
Ans- It is a well-tolerated medicine but its overdose can cause side effects. Nausea, headache, dizziness, priapism, loss of eye vision, and troubled breathing are some symptoms that you have taken an excess of sildenafil. If you observe these, immediately contact a doctor. Lastly, women and children should not take this medicine as its effect on them is relatively unknown.
There are no reviews yet.